Some of you are new to our site and some of you have been using it for years, but I am sure you have all noticed that it didn't age well.
The e-commerce platform that we signed up for many moons ago slowly got harder to use and the support experience went from bad to worse. I promise you, for every technical difficulty you have experienced, we've experienced ten!
We have wanted to switch to a modern e-commerce platform for a very long time but the lock-in factor has been a major problem for us. We had no way to export data - neither yours nor ours. As a business handling decades of data, this made the idea of moving everything over to a new store hard to embrace.
But the time has finally come to make the switch.
It has been a monumentally challenging and time-consuming task getting all of our records onto the new site. Nevertheless, we have just about managed to complete the process. So, the big question you're all asking is: what does that mean for me? Well, as always, there is good news and bad news.
I'll start with the bad news.
- You will all need to create a brand new user account on our new Shopify site.
- None of your order history will transfer to the new site. We know this one stings. We truly made the effort to make it happen, but technically it just wasn't possible. As mentioned, we have no way of exporting any of the data from our old site. It seems crazy that this is the case, but we assure you it's true. However, all is not lost. We aim to maintain the old site for 18-24 months at an archived web address. This way you can still log in and see your previous order history. This archive will not exist forever. Consequently, if there is anything in your account that you wish to reference or save, please do so as soon as possible.
- Any wish lists or saved items you had on the old site will not transfer either.
I'm sure there will be 101 other things that pop up as we gradually get up to speed on the new site, but as for the "bad news," that's pretty much all of it for now.
"Now, hit me with the good news, Better Records!"
Ok, ok, ok. Here's the good news.
- Your shopping experience will be improved markedly. The new site is optimized to work as well on your cell phone as it does on your desktop computer. This is what we're most excited about. The mobile experience on our current site is... well, let's just say sub-standard. We also gave the new site a fresh lick of paint. Basically, both form and function are getting a long overdue upgrade.
- Our old site suffered from a variety of issues during the checkout process (particularly when it came to Paypal). These issues will be a thing of the past. (We think. We believe in you, Shopify!)
- More than anything, the new site will allow us to spend less time worrying about and trying to overcome technical issues, and more time doing what we do best -- finding you the best sounding records in the world!
So that's that. The new site has officially launched! We're extremely excited about this new era for Better Records. We're calling it Mach II. And while we're sure there will be a few challenges, we're also hopeful that it won't be long before we are all able to settle into a new groove (rimshot, please).
Thank you for your patience while we work through the challenges of the new site.
If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to reach out. We want to know what you think and if you have any ideas for ways to improve the site, we are eager to hear them.
All the best,
The Better Records Crew